La Habra is a city in the northwestern corner of Orange County, California, United States. It is bordered by La Habra Heights on the north, Brea on the east, Fullerton on the south and southeast, La Mirada on the west and southwest and East Whittier on the west, Whittier on the northwest and a small unnamed section of unincorporated Los Angeles County on the northeast.
The name referred to the “Pass Through the Hills,” the natural pass through the hills to the north first discovered and used by Spanish explorers of the Portola expedition on July 30, 1769. For more than 70 years, La Habra was known as the city just south of La Habra Heights where the Hass avocado, of the Hass Avocado Mother Tree, was planted by Rudolph Hass in the 1920s. The fruit from this tree has since become one of the most popular avocado cultivars worldwide. The Hass Mother Tree succumbed to root rot in 2002.
The city of La Habra is mainly served by the La Habra City School District for elementary and middle school students and the Fullerton Joint Union High School District for high school students, but portions of La Habra are also redirected to other school districts closer to homes of some residents.
Avg Work Commute29 mins
Median Area Income$65,186
Median Sale Price$447,000
About La Habra
- Elevation: 91 m
- Zip codes: 90631–90633
- Points of Interest: The Children Museum,Laguna Lake Park,LA Bonita Park.
La Habra was founded in 1896. The first post office in the town was established in 1898 in a corner of Coy's Store at Central (now La Habra Boulevard) and Euclid Street.
The city was incorporated under general law on January 20, 1925, with a population of 3,000. The police force was organized in 1926 and employed a chief, traffic officer and patrolman. By 1928, the city was the largest avocado center in Southern California. In 1930, the first fire department building was constructed followed by the original City Hall in 1935. By 1950, the population reached nearly 5,000. The Civic Center took shape when the existing County Library was dedicated in 1966, followed by the present administration building in 1969.